Great Green Vegetable Pasta
Substitute other green vegetables to suit your tastes and what you have on hand.
1 cup cottage cheese or ricotta cheese
½ cup milk (optional if using cottage cheese)
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese (freshly grated)
4-6 garlic scapes, finely chopped or minced
2 tablespoons fresh basil (chopped; or 2 teaspoons dried)
2 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped; or 2 teaspoons dried)
½ teaspoon salt
12 ounces fusilini, linguini, or spaghetti
2 cups broccoli florets
2 cups zucchini or summer squash (sliced)
1 cup snap peas
1 to 2 cups chopped kale
¼ to ½ cup chopped red bunching onions
2 tablespoons butter
• Stir together cottage or ricotta cheese, milk, Parmesan cheese, garlic scapes, basil, parsley, and salt in a bowl and set aside. Or for a smooth texture, purée in a blender.
• In a large soup pot of boiling water, start cooking pasta according to package
• Stir broccoli into soup pot 6 minutes before pasta is done; boil 3 minutes.
• Stir in zucchini and snap peas slowly; boil 2 minutes.
• Stir in red bunching onions and kale slowly, boil 1 minute.
• Remove from heat. Drain well and return to soup pot.
• Toss pasta and vegetables with butter until melted.
• Add cottage cheese mixture; toss gently to coat. Serve immediately sprinkled with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and freshly ground pepper.
Adapted from Simply in Season by Mary Beth Lind and Cathleen Hockman-Wert